Ampere donates Arm64 server hardware to Debian to fortify the Arm ecosystem

The Debian Project                               https://www.debian.org/
Ampere donates Arm64 server hardware to Debian
to fortify the Arm ecosystem                            press@debian.org
June 16th, 2020                https://www.debian.org/News/2020/20200616

Ampere® [1] has partnered with Debian to support our hardware
infrastructure through the donation of three of Ampere's high-
performance Arm64 servers. These Lenovo ThinkSystem HR330A servers
contain Ampere's eMAG CPU with an Arm®v8 64-bit processor specifically
designed for cloud servers, equipped with 256GB RAM, dual 960GB SSDs,
and a 25GbE dual port NIC.

    1: https://amperecomputing.com/

The donated servers have been deployed at the University of British
Columbia, our hosting partner in Vancouver, Canada. The Debian System
Administrators (DSA) have configured them to run arm64/armhf/armel build
daemons, replacing the build daemons running on less powerful
development-grade boards. On virtual machines with half as many
allocated vCPUs, the result has been that the time to build Arm*
packages has been halved with Ampere's eMAG system. Another benefit from
this generous gift is that it will allow DSA to migrate some general
Debian services currently operating in our present infrastructure, and
will provision virtual machines for other Debian teams (e.g.: Continuous
Integration, Quality Assurance, etc.) who require access to Arm64
architecture.

"Our partnership with Debian supports our developer strategy to expand
the open source communities which run on Ampere servers to further build
out the Arm64 ecosystem and enable the creation of new applications,"
said Mauri Whalen, vice president of software engineering at Ampere.
"Debian is a well-run and respected community, and we are proud to work
with them."

"The Debian System Administrators are grateful to Ampere for the
donation of carrier-grade Arm64 servers. Having servers with integrated
standard management interfaces such as Intelligent Platform Management
Interface (IPMI), and with Lenovo's hardware warranties and support
organization behind them, is precisely what DSA has been wanting for the
Arm64 architecture. These servers are very powerful and very well
equipped: we anticipate using them for general services in addition to
Arm64 build daemons. I think they'll prove to be very appealing to cloud
operators and I'm thrilled that Ampere Computing has partnered with
Debian." - Luca Filipozzi, Debian System Administrator.

It is only through the donation of volunteer effort, in-kind equipment
and services, and funding that Debian is able to deliver on our
commitment of a free operating system. We are very appreciative of
Ampere's generosity.

About Ampere Computing
----------------------

Ampere is designing the future of hyperscale cloud and edge computing
with the world's first cloud native processor. Built for the cloud with
a modern 64-bit Arm server-based architecture, Ampere gives customers
the freedom to accelerate the delivery of all cloud computing
applications. With industry-leading cloud performance, power efficiency
and scalability, Ampere processors are tailored for the continued growth
of cloud and edge computing.

About Debian
------------

The Debian Project was founded in 1993 by Ian Murdock to be a truly free
community project. Since then the project has grown to be one of the
largest and most influential open source projects. Thousands of
volunteers from all over the world work together to create and maintain
Debian software. Available in 70 languages, and supporting a huge range
of computer types, Debian calls itself the "universal operating system".

Contact Information

For further information, please visit the Debian web pages at
https://www.debian.org/ or send mail to <press@debian.org>.