Re: DM application of Leo Singer

Hello,

Sometimes good news comes completely unexpected.

On 12/05/16 04:55, Singer, Leo P. (GSFC-661.0)[UNIVERSITIES SPACE
RESEARCH ASSOCIATION] wrote:
> <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer>.
>
> I have read the Social Contract, Debian Free Software Guidelines and
> Debian Machine Usage Policy and agree with all of them.
>
> I am a member of the LIGO Scientific Collaboration and I am interested in
> packaging and maintaining open-source software for gravitational wave
> astronomy. Currently, I maintain the packages chealpix, healpix-cxx, and
> healpy. These three packages are essential for working with LIGO
> probability sky maps, not to mention many other kinds of all-sky
> astronomical images.
>
> My GnuPG key 1879E9CC is signed by the Debian Developer Ondřej Surý.
>
> I look forward to becoming a Debian Maintainer.
>
> Thanks for your attention,
> Leo
>
> Dr. Leo P. Singer
> NASA Postdoctoral Program Fellow
> Goddard Space Flight Center
> 8800 Greenbelt Rd., B34, Room S239
> Greenbelt, MD 20771
The obvious qualification of Leo is not that his first name is an
anagram of our
Debian-Astro  initiator Ole.  It is more that all this gravitational
wave business
is implemented on Debian machines, i.e. all the way down to Einstein@Home.
In a way, Leo's application is half a decade late, and we cannot truly blame
the astronomers' complementary working hours or their isolation on mountain
tops for that :o)   Welcome, Leo!

So, LIGO is an international consortium and we can only assume that they
have
the same sort of problems that all international consortia have. Debian
is exactly
about orchestrating such world-wide developments. Yet completely underrated
are our efforts for continuous integration testing and
snapshot.debian.org. I see
large initiatives like LIGO embracing Debian not only as some sort of
outreach
that looks nice on the next grant application but for exact such increased
confidence in using code from the other side of the world. Let Leo in.
And there
shall be more. I received a very friendly support email from my personal
contact
Carsten in nearby Hanover who is collaborating with Leo in which he
expresses
his support and excitement about Leo's move. @Carsten, could we possibly
receive your DM application, too, please?

I quipped about Debian contributions "looking nice on grant
applications". This
is so because of completely new possibilities in science education, the
independent
confirmation of findings, the democratization of science,
cross-pollination of software,
outside contributions to the projects, .... you name it. But for the
average (or not
so average since it is a Debian Maintainer) full-time employee in a
scientific
environment to be allowed to upload to Debian on a regular basis, this
must be of
immediate benefit for the collaborations' science in some way. Leo made
respective
first steps a couple of years ago. Now let us see where this carries us.

Clear skies (not that this matters much for LIGO)

Steffen