1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Tommi
   Middle name:
   Last name:       Vainikainen
   Key fingerprint: 1228EB75
   Account:         tvainika
   Forward email:   thv@iki.fi

   ID check passed, key signed by lots of existing developers (Tommi
   was present at the Helsinki keysigning party)

   Output from keycheck.sh:
$ ./keycheck.sh 1228EB75
Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
Receiving and checking key
gpg: requesting key 1228EB75 from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
pub   1024D/1228EB75 2001-06-07 [expires: 2010-12-10]
      Key fingerprint = 10CA 47C6 A071 7261 20E2  2E0B 5470 3CDE 1228 EB75
uid                  Tommi Vainikainen <thv@iki.fi>
(…)
sub   2048g/4D7C1E4C 2001-06-07 [expires: 2010-12-10]
sig!         1228EB75 2003-12-12  Tommi Vainikainen <thv@iki.fi>

43 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.  Good!
Check for key expire stuff
Valid "e" flag on key 0x54703CDE1228EB75, expires Fri 10 Dec 2010 14:54:19 CST, OK!
Valid "s" flag on key 0x54703CDE1228EB75, expires Fri 10 Dec 2010 14:54:19 CST, OK!

2. Background
-------------
Tommi has long been approaching Debian — His first first advocation
mail dates back to 2004 (!), and he attended DebConf5 in Finland. His
advocate states he is familiar with Tommi mainly due to his Finnish
translation efforts in GNOME. Looking through minechangelogs' output
confirms this, as many DDs hace credited him in their changelogs, both
for translation and for bugfixes.

   Applicant writes:

Let me introduce myself shortly: I'm 28 year old, I'm married, and we
have 7 months old boy with my wife. I've MSc. Tech (CS) from Helsinki
University of Technology (graduated 2005), and I'm working as Senior
Software Developer in small startup called Conformiq working on a
proprietary software product for model-based testing (automated test
generation from models) using Debian. At work I also sysadmin our
Debian servers, and help others to install Ubuntu. Sometimes I also
have to work with the operating system From the dark side, but I get
paid to do that. :)
(…)
My interest in being part of Debian is mostly philosophical: I think
that free software benefits the society more than proprietary
software, especially on core software such as operating systems. I
think that Debian project is very unique free software project with
Debian's massive developer base and democratic decision making.

Of course Debian distribution is technically very advanced too, both
in historic perspective with Apt, but still that everything works so
smoothly with new releases. Software is well tested and stable when
released.

   Google says:

Consistent with what he and his advocate wrote, Google says he is an
active translator for Finnish in Launchpad, and he can be easily
linked to his workplace, Conformiq. There is a high proportion of
pages listing Tommi in Finnish, of course, and I dare not wander in
there unaccompanied ;-)

This page has a good listing of the activities I have found him
related to - Of course, I assume the musician is a homonym, or just an
area of his person he didn't feel with a strong relation to Debian:

  http://pipl.com/directory/name/Vainikainen/Tommi

You can also see his activity in Debian L10N:

  http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po/fi

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Tommi has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and
   procedures and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Tommi committed to uphold the SC and
   DFSG in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Tommi has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Tommi is maintainer of gnus and xqilla, both of which I have
   sponsored.
   All packages are in good shape - Gnus has a high bug count, but he
   has done some progress in comparison to when he adopted it.
   Tommi also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and provided patches for RC bugs.

   I recommend to accept Tommi as a Debian Developer.

--
Gunnar Wolf • gwolf@gwolf.org • (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244