AM report for Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de>

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Thorsten
   Middle name:     __
   Last name:       Glaser
   Key fingerprint: 9031 955E 7A97 A4FD A32B  2B86 76B5 34B2 E990 07E0
   Account:         tg
   Forward email:   tg@mirbsd.de

   ID check passed, key signed by 6 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh (snipping out self-signatures and other keys
   owned by Thorsten himself, for brevity):

   Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
   Receiving and checking key
   gpg: requesting key E99007E0 from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
   pub   4096R/E99007E0 2007-03-11 [expires: 2014-03-09]
         Key fingerprint = 9031 955E 7A97 A4FD A32B  2B86 76B5 34B2 E990 07E0
   uid                  Thorsten Glaser (no PGP/MIME please, use Inline OpenPGP instead) <tg@mirbsd.org>
   sig!         C93BFF79 2009-11-08  Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de>
   sig!         73647CFF 2007-06-01  Nico Golde <nion@debian.org>
   sig!         9DE1EEB1 2007-08-27  Marc Brockschmidt <Marc.Brockschmidt@credativ.de>
   sig!         BC7D020A 2009-06-23  Alexander Wirt <formorer@debian.org>
   sig!         C93BFF79 2009-11-08  Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de>
   sig!2        A2D8F6BF 2007-08-26  Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@in-medias-res.com>
   sig!3        BD8B050D 2007-06-03  Roland Rosenfeld <roland@spinnaker.de>

   Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.  Good!
   Check for key expire stuff
   Valid "e" flag on key 0x76B534B2E99007E0, expires Sun Mar  9 21:44:19 2014, OK!
   Valid "s" flag on key 0x76B534B2E99007E0, expires Sun Mar  9 21:44:19 2014, OK!

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:

   I’ve begun working with computers when I was 8 years old, my father
   bought one and I RTFM and told him what to do. Since games were few
   and GW-BASIC was much more interesting, I quickly dived into program-
   ming – learning BASIC before Latin, then Assembly and Pascal before
   English, so please forgive me if I make any mistakes in natural lan-
   guages. My interest was with many operating environments, for example
   DOS, CP/M-86, OS/2, BeOS, various Windows incarnations, Geoworks En-
   semble, DRI GEM (on DOS, not TOS), that famous QNX demo floppy, the
   Acorn RISC OS (although I never had physical access to one), and some
   others I forgot.

   I came to C relatively late, at 17, but having mastered a couple of
   programming languages already and looked at some others, it was a
   matter of a night’s reading. GNU/Linux quickly followed, in various
   flavours:
   * A book which, looking back, consisted only of translated manpages
     and HOWTOs without the graphics, and Caldera OpenLinux 1.2 (yes,
     that one that later became SCO). Not installable because they ma-
     stered the CD without Rock Ridge, but during the two weeks I spent
     in the installer’s initrd I learned a lot (not easy, but not hard
     either because I was used to MS-DOS and DR DOS command line).
   * SuSE 6.1 (having shared it with an adult acquaintance to afford it)
   * Debian slink
   * I then proceeded to download software updates, including an incre-
     mental kernel update, at school and transported them home via flop-
     pies, and made something like LFS, except I didn’t even know of the
     existence of the LFS HOWTO. I had the source CDs of SuSE and Debian
     available, too. I chose libc5 over glibc (and still don’t regret it),
     it had cpio but no tar, and was installable natively or via LOADLIN,
     and, in contrast to all other distributions of its time, did *not*
     use UMSDOS but rather loopback-root with ext2fs, kind of like today’s
     Live CDs (like Grml). If you’re interested, I recovered parts of it
     and can point you to the images. (I test that mksh compiles on it,
     with gcc 2.7.2.3, from time to time.) Then I installed it on a 386
     laptop of mine and went online by myself for the very first time,
     found BitchX and irc.debian.org aka linpeople/OPN/freenode.

   Now something I hope will not discourage you: during all that time,
   I considered DOS my primary OS – even today I usually have dual-boot
   setups with a small DOS incarnation. Then I discovered the BSDs, or-
   dered OpenBSD and installed it. Afterwards, I tried to improve it,
   “met” Theo de Raadt, and ended up making my own BSD operating system.
   So DOS is now my secondary OS.

   While having used GNU/Linux in various projects, I’ve been “Linux free”
   at home since 2001 or so (although I ran Debian GNU/kFreeBSD in qemu
   during 2007 and 2008, until my laptop HDD ran out of space, but I’m
   already planning on doing so again).

   I’m also a core developer, and used to be project leader for a while
   (but found out I can’t do that for two OS projects), of FreeWRT, an
   embedded GNU/Linux appliance development kit (fancy for meta-distro).

   Due to my involvement in various projects, either myself (e.g. lynx)
   or merely by having them in upstream, and involvement in Debian most-
   ly at work (it *is* the coziest GNU/Linux distro after all) and via
   Grml (that Austrian Live CD), I find myself “dancing on many weddings”
   and can immerse myself into several projects’ policies rather easily.
   For example, on the licence front, I’m obviously thinking “copycenter”
   (BSD) instead of “copyleft” (GPL), but not only do I recognise RMS for
   what he’s done and how he lives it, I can also argue his point if nee-
   ded. Similarily for that firmware issue. It depends which hat I wear,
   but I do believe in open source principles. It also helps to have an
   employer who actively embraces and sponsors F/OSS.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Thorsten has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and
   procedures and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Thorsten committed to uphold the SC
   and DFSG in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP (as he already did
   when he became a DM).

4. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Thorsten has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.

   Thorsten is maintainer of a handful of packages as a DM already.
   Overview is at
   http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=tg@mirbsd.de&comaint=yes
   All packages are in good shape. He has porting skills towards
   the BSD world and can help out with the kFreeBSD port.
   Thorsten also answered my other questions regarding T&S without
   problems and provided patches for RC bugs, some of which I've
   uploaded as DELAYED NMUs (some others are being dealt with by
   maintainers, working in co-operation with Thorsten).

   I recommend to accept Thorsten as a Debian Developer.

Cheers.