AM report for Dave Beckett <Dave.Beckett@bristol.ac.uk>

Recommendation: I recommend Dave Beckett be accepted as a Debian Developer.

Identity
----------

bluetooth:~/src/debian$ gpg --list-sigs dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk
pub  1024D/4F71955A 2002-05-07 Dave Beckett <dajobe@dajobe.org>
sig 3       4F71955A 2002-05-07   Dave Beckett <dajobe@dajobe.org>
sig         BB9B8711 2002-05-07   Edd Dumbill <edd@usefulinc.com>
uid                            Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
sig 3       4F71955A 2002-05-07   Dave Beckett <dajobe@dajobe.org>
sig         BB9B8711 2002-05-07   Edd Dumbill <edd@usefulinc.com>

Dave's key is signed by current Debian Developer Edd Dumbill, and is a
version 4 key.

Identity check passed OK.

Biography
-----------

Dave writes:

I am a developer primarily working on semantic web standards and
software development with lots of experience in portability,
packaging, auto* tools and developing across higher-level languages
(C and perl, python, ruby, tcl, java, php, C#).  I am a strong
supporter of open standards for the web and internet, which to me
means royalty-free and have promoted and developed these in many
places.  I hope to apply my experience across languages and
architectures to packaging and my background in openness and freedom
to the project in the large.

Recommendations
-----------------

Dave's advocate, Edd Dumbill, writes:

Dave Beckett is a competent and experienced programmer who has developed
and released several key open source packages.  He has been producing
packages for Redland, which I have sponsored, for some time now and has
been diligent and careful in their preparation.  Dave is also involved
in the Mono packaging effort.  He pays close attention to developments
in the Debian world and would make a valuable addition to the developer
community.

Research
----------

http://bugs.debian.org/205346 contains some messages from Dave.

Handles things fairly well.  Certainly knows how to stand up for himself.

RFS:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2002/debian-mentors-200206/msg00210.html

Knows to use WNPP appropriately.  Good.

Has been maintaining and keeping his packages up to date fairly well.  Most
of his packages are in good condition (fairly bugless) and show decent
upload histories.  Bugs on his packages are typically well tended to.

http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/people/cmdjb/cv/ (resume)

"Dave Beckett's RDF Resource Guide"
http://www.peerfear.org/download/subscriptions/Dave Beckett's RDF Resource Guide.html

Nice, clean packages:
http://lintian.debian.org/reports/mDave_Beckett.html

Some info Dave gives about himself:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/Dave_20Beckett

Throughout my discussions with and research about Dave, I was impressed by
his general thoroughness and research ability.  Although he didn't
necessarily have all the answers straightaway, he always demonstrated a keen
ability to *find* the answers, which I respect deeply.

Philosophy and Procedures
---------------------------

Dave has agreed via signed e-mail to uphold the Social Contract and DFSG in
his Debian work, and has read and agreed to the DMUP.

Dave shows a good knowledge of the general philosophy of Debian, including
the constitution, DFSG, and Social Contract.  He also was familiar with
Debian's place in the larger free software community, and the way we tend to
work.  He is also quite capable of expressing and defending his opinions in
a clear and reasonable manner.

Dave had no major problems answering the Procedures questions I asked him.
Even when he didn't know the answer directly, he worked very hard to find
the answer.  I have no doubt that in any situation where Dave needed to know
something, he'd find the answer one way or another.

Tasks and Skills
------------------

Dave hasn't submitted many bugs for other packages, but he has participated
in several ITPs.  His general communication skills are excellent, though.

I took a look at Dave's muine_0.6.3-1 package, and it was quite well done.
In fact, during the time between Dave giving me -1 and my having a look at
it, he uploaded 0.6.3-2 to fix some outstanding issues, which shows Dave's
maintenance qualities in a good light.

I asked Dave to prepare a QA upload of an orphaned package to see how he
worked on a new package.  He chose to fix the FTBFS on python-simpy
(#259123).  In most aspects, Dave's work was flawless, and when questioned
on the minor points he missed he quickly made appropriate fixes.

Account Information

Preferred username: dajobe
Mail forwarded to: dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk