Re: ftp.xx.debian.org

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 11:44:33PM -0400, Max Ramirez wrote:
> In the official mirror of Chile, the administrator recently open a
> forum, but the browser doesn't allow to type directly
> ftp.cl.debian.org/Foro, instead we have to type
> http://ftp.cl.debian.org/Foro, which is a little uncomfortable.

$ host ftp.cl.debian.org
ftp.cl.debian.org is an alias for debian.ciencias.uchile.cl
=> type debian.ciencias.uchile.cl/Foro/ :)

> Why, if debian is distributed by http, ftp and rsync, we mantain the
> same notation to refeer us to a mirror? Doesn't the correct notation
> should be xx.debian.org?

That is a good question. The obvious reason of such a name is
historical, but maybe something like XX.mirror.debian.org would be
better.

However that is mandatory to not drop the old name scheme, for
compatibility reasons.

Regards,