Re: Debian/MIPSeb: proposal to drop mipseb port?

Hello everyone,

On 12 Aug 2018, at 07:46, Matt Turner <mattst88@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 12:18 PM J.P.Malhado <malhado@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 18:13:43 +0800, YunQiang Su wrote:
>>> We need some more build machines, current we use some ER8s,
>>> which use NFS as rootfs and they have no FPU.
>>> So the performance and stability are bad.
>>
>> I'm commenting here from a position of ignorance:
>> Would SGI hardware make good build machines for the architecture? I'm asking
>> because I have a 3 SGI Octanes I could give away.
>
> Doubtful. Octanes use hundreds of watts and aren't very fast compared
> with modern systems. They are indeed big endian, however.

I would be interested in one faster than 2x250MHz ;-)

>> According to this information from Gentoo
>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MIPS/Hardware_Requirements#IP30:_Octane
>> it should be semi-functional, but that information might be out of date.
>
> The maintainer of T2 Linux (René, Cc'd) has a YouTube channel in which
> he demonstrated an Octane running a modern (4.8?) kernel he had
> patched. I have not seen evidence of those patches going upstream
> though. As far as I know his work is in a significantly better state
> than that of Joshua's (from Gentoo).

I started to contact Ralf, and intend to try in autumn over the winter, to finally
get the ageing Sgi Octane port bits upstream.

	https://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/IP30
	https://t2sde.org/architectures/mips64/

Greetings,
	René

--
 ExactCODE GmbH, Lietzenburger Str. 42, DE-10789 Berlin
 DE Legal: Amtsgericht Berlin (Charlottenburg) HRB 105123B, Tax-ID#: DE251602478