Re: Libav 0.7 FTBFS on mipsel: Error: opcode not supported on this processor: mips2 (mips2) `ldl $2, 7($13)'

[ mips* buildds Cc'ed ]

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 09:58:34PM +0200, David Kuehling wrote:
> The complete userspace *is* o32, just the kernel is not.  I think that
> is a pretty valid way to run a system, compiling the kernel for mips64
> gives better performance on those machines that can run mips64 code.
>
> A mips64 kernel can run 32 and 64-bit architecture binaries, and has to
> pick one description when asked via 'uname -m'.  The 'setarch' tool can
> be used to configure which architecture that is.
>
> I.e. athough my machine usually returns 'mips64' on 'uname -m', after
> running, 'setarch mips' it returns just 'mips'.  Maybe that'd be a a
> cleaner way to fix the problem for all package builds?

I think that's a misconfiguration of the buildds.  They're supposed to
put linux32 into the schroot configuration if the kernel arch differs
from the userspace arch, to get the right entry into uname.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern