printing (cups) very slow, high cpu load

Hi,

i've got a debian/mips box (buffalo linkstation 2), which is also a
print server. However it's very slow. Printing 1 page takes about 5
minutes and the cpu load is at 99%. The following processes cause all
the cpu load:  pdftops, rastertogutenpr, and pstops. Later it's
pdftops alone.

I guess they all rely heavily on floating point calculations, and
since my mips box is very bad at doing such things, it takes a while.
Is there anything I can do to speed things up? Maybe some
integer-based alternative implementations of the programs?

Thorsten