Re: "safe" kernel for RaQ2?

Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not new to linux, but new to a RaQ2 I just got. Like on my other
> ppc/x86/x64-machines I'd like to install a debian woody on it.
>
> It took me two days :-) but now I managed to get woody on it via
> netinstall, nfsboot etc.
>
> But - I am very surprised to see that there's a just some-years-old
> kernel in woody which AFAIK is known to be exploited (At least i've to
> make some upgrades on other architectures). And the file-date shows
> that this is not an old kernel with backported fixes - it's relly from
> 2002.

RaQ2 isn't supported in woody, so there shouldn't be any old kernels
for it in the archive. The first Debian kernel for mipsel/cobalt is
2.4.25 from 2004-04-17.

> I plan to expose the machine to the web. Is the mips(el)-port dead or
> what's happening there? Where to get a "safe" kernel (Doesn't have to
> be bleeding edge, but "safe")?

Sarge/sid with 2.4.25 is currently the only option in Debian. The
debian-installer is btw. nearly ready (AFAIK some bootloader issues
are not fully solved). If you want to try a reinstall, I'd recommend
to wait a few more days until beta4 of d-i comes out.

Thiemo