Re: "safe" kernel for RaQ2?

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 06:11:07PM +0200, Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:

> I'm not new to linux, but new to a RaQ2 I just got. Like on my other
> ppc/x86/x64-machines I'd like to install a debian woody on it.
>
> It took me two days :-) but now I managed to get woody on it via
> netinstall, nfsboot etc.
>
> But - I am very surprised to see that there's a just some-years-old
> kernel in woody which AFAIK is known to be exploited (At least i've to
> make some upgrades on other architectures). And the file-date shows
> that this is not an old kernel with backported fixes - it's relly from
> 2002.

The whole Cobalt/MIPS family of machines was never officially
supported in woody, so there are no updated kernel packages for it.
You can build a current kernel for your system by checking out the
LINUX_2_4 branch (currently at 2.4.26) from cvs.linux-mips.org and
applying the cobalt patches from http://www.colonel-panic.org/ to
them. Our goal is to make the MIPS-based Cobalt systems a fully
supported platform in Debian/sarge, but this still needs some work.

> I plan to expose the machine to the web. Is the mips(el)-port dead or
> what's happening there? Where to get a "safe" kernel (Doesn't have to

No the port is not dead and Debian has supplied security updates for
Debian/mipsel in the same way as for the other ports, but of course
only for those subarchitectures with which woody was actually
released, which did not include the Cobalt/MIPS systems.

> be bleeding edge, but "safe")?

See above.

HTH,
Karsten