Re: biarch cooperation.

"C. Scott Ananian" <cananian@lesser-magoo.csail.mit.edu> writes:

> On 20 Dec 2003, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
> > Package are requested by (sub)arch. Some of those subarchs (like i386,
> > i486, i586, i686) have the same abi.
> > and looks quite ugly in the control and rules files.
>
> just a pedantic note, since my original message in this particular thread
> was about establishing meaningful and unconfusing names for things:
> I'm pretty sure 'i386' 'i486' 'i586' etc are *not* "subarchitectures"
> according to the accepted linux kernel and debian-installer defininition
> of this term.  "amiga" "macintosh" "apollo" "atari" are
> "subarchitectures", all of which support identical abis.  "voyager" and
> "pc98" are other subarchitectures.
>   --scott [lapsing into stallmanism here, perhaps. =) ]
>
> OVER THE HORIZON RADAR South Africa India Nazi Attache Delta Force
> anthrax for Dummies blowfish AK-47 North Korea milita Philadelphia
>                          ( http://cscott.net/ )

i386, i486, i585 are architectures and i486 is a subarchitecture of
i586 in the meaning its included. Come up with something better than
architecture. The kernel and d-i names are not realy relevant for
dpkg/apt userspace stuff but if possible overlaps should avoid using
different meanings.

MfG
        Goswin