o2 lockup on debian boot

ok, after fighting all day trying to setup a dhcpd server, tftp server, and nfs shares, i can finally get my o2 to boot my kernel.. YEAY
I tried a tarball of Redhat 7.1 for mips it booted from the net and seemd to work YEAY.. i want to use debian though, so i got the root.tar.gz for woody, untarred it, put it in my nfs share, starts too boot says something like
Init: Busy Box (followed by some version information)
then just hangs hard on a blinking cursor.

I'm using a 2.5.1 kernel patched for the o2.

Any idea how to get past this part, and isntall debian?