Re: Experiences with Debian Lasat/Eicon Masquerade PRO

Florian Lohoff wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 12:20:19PM +0000, Thomas Horsten wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Masquerade PRO with the latest kernel from Eicon (2.4.17, 020117).
> > Network installation of Debian went fairly well, after copying the installation
> > root image to a partition on the harddisk. There were a few glitches but the
> > base system was installed on an ext3 system and I was able to continue from
> > there after reboot, using apt and dselect.
>
> We have 2 of those machines running as debian autobuilders.
>
> > I've noticed that the disk performance is less than perfect and suspect this to
>
> Not only that but we also had (Very rare) disk corruption reports.

It would be nice if we heard something of this - any details of how?

> > Eicon is no longer developing for the Masquerade boards (they still use
> > another board without harddisk for some of their products), so I suspect
> > that they will not do any work on the harddisk support, but before I
> > start hacking away at the kernel myself I just wanted to check if any
> > of you have had experience or any solutions to this problem.
>
> The biggest problem is the non-integrations of the kernel patches into
> the mips cvs. From looking at the sourcetree it will be a horribly hard
> work to get the patches into a shape where they can actually be
> accepted.

Thanks for the encouragement...

It is basically luck that these boards run at all - there are something like 10 or
20 made and they are no longer being developed on except for fun. We do our
best in the free time we have. Any help you can give or patches you contribute
will be gratefully received. Even bug reports would be nice.

Thanks for debian-mips(el), I hope we can contribute at some time.

/Brian