Re: DEC Station 5000 series

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 slamble@csc.com wrote:

> I was involved in the Debian project some years back (i386 -- I was
> involved in a number of packages around 1997), but had to give it away
> due to a lack of time. However, there is a fair chance that I can pick
> up a free DECstation 5000.
>
> Questions:
>   * Is this a supported platform for working with Linux/MIPS in general, and
> Debian MIPS in particular? (it's based, if I remember rightly, on the R3000
> processor.)

Yes there are packages for it, but since there is a glibc problem
currently, Debian development is at a low profile. There are also R4000
based DECstations around.

>   * If it's not a supported platform, would it be reasonably straightforward
> (even if tedious) to get it working?
>
> Thanks in advance. If everything seems favourable, I'll let you lot know
> once I have the machine. (Bear in mind that I've a few non-computing
> activities that do take a fair amount of my time, so I probably won't be
> as productive as others.)

Following sites have information about it:
http://decstation.unix-ag.org/
http://www.xs4all.nl/~vhouten/mipsel/
http://www.inter.nl.net/users/schnecke/mips/
http://oss.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html