Re: endian issues (mips)

At 00:31 -0600 1998-12-03, job bogan wrote:
so, i was thinking about requesting a mips area in the ftp hierarchy,
but...  mips cpus have ability to run in little or big endian
modes. (perhaps vax endian too??)  as well, we have at least 3 classes
of mips machines we could be running on - cobalt cube, sgis and
nt/pc'ish things (magnums and such).

There are also the DECStations and the Sony NEWS workstations.

i'm not sure how much the class of machine matters to binaries, but the
endianess almost surely matters.  does anyone know about much the
machine class matters?

so, how should we deal with this?  do we make a binary-mips-little and a
binary-mips-big?

The GNU CPU part of the CPU-VENDOR-OS strings for mips CPUs are "mips" for big endian and "mipsel" for little endian. There seems to be a convention to use the GNU CPU part as our architectures.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>