autopkgtest testing postinst

Hi,

for adduser (which is Priority: important and installed on nearly every
Debian system alive), I would like to use ucf to manage adduser.conf in
the future. I would not like to add ucf as a dependency though.

I am therefore planning to use ucf in Recommends or Suggests and to
scaffold the ucf calls in postinst, providing only very basic conffile
handling in the case where ucf is not installed (leaving that decision
to the local admin).

But due to the criticality of the package, I need to test package
installation in both cases, with and without ucf. This is especially
important because the case "no ucf" might occur in automated settings
like the installer, debootstrap, image and testbed building and breakage
in those functions is likely to do horrible things to Debian's tooling.

How would I do that in autopkgtest? Can I uninstall and reinstall the
package in question while an autopkgtest is running?

I would like to hear about your experiences. Pointers to packages that
are already doing this would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you
very much.

Greetings
Marc