Re: doubts about debian/copyrights

Il 23/10/2022 04:04, Paul Wise ha scritto:
On Sat, 2022-10-22 at 15:59 +0200, Fabio Fantoni wrote:

Which would be the best tool(s) to get a good starting debian/copyright
and decrease the time it takes to complete and fix it?
Allegedly scancode is the best option for that, but it isn't in Debian.
I think decopy/licensecheck are the best ones already in Debian.

https://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightReviewTools
https://github.com/nexB/scancode-toolkit/

Personally I afterwards manually review each file and check all of the
details, since the Debian archive admins will be doing that anyway.
I find that a keyboard-driven file manager like mc works for this.

Thanks for reply, some manual checks can be ok, but when you start having difficulties and it takes more time for debian/copyright alone than all the rest of the packaging I think it is unpleasant and unproductive.

then when the files are thousands or more manually checking each one would be impossible as time

decopy spotted one file (usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/96/miro.svg) with
license "CC-BY", I tried a search for found the specific license used
but I not found, in mint-theme instead for example about a license doubt
I went to look for the origin and I found it and solved it
(https://salsa.debian.org/cinnamon-team/mint-themes/-/commit/dcf71951df39f326ea9057d39095f7e94926bf19),
regarding this file, however, the site mentioned inside no longer exists
and therefore I have not found a certain answer.
All the sites mentioned in that commit work for me:

https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greybird
https://shimmerproject.org/

the commit linked about mint-theme was a search I did successfull (as example) intead about mint-x-icons was not

there are also some other files with "creative common" found inside it
with a grep but that was not spotted by decopy and also in these there
aren't details on the exact license
Might be worth filing bugs on decopy about these missing detections.

done, seems that decopy spotted only the one file with:

<!-- License: creative commons attribution -->

and not:

xmlns:cc="http://creativecommons.org/ns#";

that with a grep seems in 1872 files

As Andrew says, best ask upstream about any unclear licenses.

done