Re: Assist in maintaining a package

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 05:43:55AM -0300, Leandro Cunha wrote:
> Em sex., 29 de mai. de 2020 às 05:30, Andrej Shadura escreveu:
> > > I honestly don’t understand the urgency. You’ve been spamming me with
> > > messages about drawing while the package in Debian in only two versions
> > > behind the upstream. There’s only been a couple of minor fixes upstream,
> > > this can certainly wait until I find time.
> > >
> > > Also, make sure you understand: the fact you proposed an NMU doesn’t mean
> > > it has been accepted. So you cannot meaningfully claim that you "worked alone
> > > on packages like Drawing for Debian". All of the messages you keep posting
> > > seems a bit like stepping on my toes and hurrying me up for no reason.
> > >
> > > Please let me maintain the package on the pace I find appropriate.
> >
> > My previous reply was probably a bit harsh, because I was annoyed. That
> > said, I would be happy to accept help, but you need to be more patient in
> > your attempts to provide it, because an avalanche of emails rarely helps
> > achieve what you aim for.
> >
> > Let me illustrate. You send an email, I see it, but have a lot of other
> > work, so I don’t reply but I note it in my head, ‘oh, I need to have a
> > look at that thing’. Before I have a chance to answer, you send another
> > email. ‘Oh, but wasn’t the previous email yesterday?’ In less than a day
> > you propose an NMU which is not of quality I would like, and also ask for
> > upload permission, but before I have a chance to talk to you and explain
> > what changes need to be done, you go ahead and attempt to apply for a
> > Debian Maintainer. After that email, my only reaction was to ignore any
> > further emails from you.
> >
> > I understand you’re very motivated to make Debian better, just like myself
> > before I joined Debian, but you need to give others (e.g. me in this case)
> > a bit more time and not press the issue instead.
> >
> > If you are okay with slowing down a bit, :) I am willing to work with you
> > and mentor you as a prospective co-maintainer of this package. It is small
> > enough to be a package to learn things on.
> >

> Hi Geert Stappers and Andrej Shadura,

Hello Mailinglist

> Thanks for the answers.
>
> As this is the first time that I have this idea of collaborating with the
> project as a contributor after many years using Debian, I haven't worked on
> a package before and it hasn't gone through any revisions, I just read the
> documentation and only it. I am not yet authorized to commit to Salsa.

Which salsa account name are we talking about?

Which "project"?   ( 'project' is a gitlab name thing for git repository
plus extras plus fluh )

> I am
> beginning to participate more in the Debian community. So, for that I put
> in the email previous that any help, I would be very grateful. But I am
> offering support to maintain this package and I intend to upload it. I just
> mentioned that I was testing this package in its new version release from
> upstream and at the same time studying packaging in Debian.
>
> An update now and a submission to backports would close 3 bug reports at
> once.

Where are those changes?

> At the same time I was watching this here
> https://github.com/maoschanz/drawing#other-packages-available.
>
> I do not intend to send SPAMs to no one.

Nobody is spamming.  Every message is send with best intensions,
especial the emails with good price deals.

Just imagine how messages are recieved.

> It is open for suggestions to make this work that I did even better, in the
> quality required by the Debian project.
>
> Leandro Cunha

Regards
Geert Stappers