Adequate reports obsolete conffiles: and now what?

Dear list,

The new, shiny lirc 0.9.4 has received a bug report #851618. At the core, this is about adequate reporting

lirc: obsolete-conffile /etc/lirc/irexec.lircrc
lirc: obsolete-conffile /etc/lirc/lircmd.conf
lirc: obsolete-conffile /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
lirc: obsolete-conffile /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
lirc: obsolete-conffile /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf

However, all of these files exists for a purpose and are not obsolete. The details:

- hardware.conf is indeed obsolete in 0.9.4. However, the manual, breaking update is about moving bits and pieces from hardware,conf to other files, so it needs to be around for some cycles before it's removed.

- For the other files I'm using my own scheme: The upstream files are installed as e. g.,lirc_options.conf.dist. This file is updated but not used. If the actually used lirc_options.conf is missing it's created as a copy of the *dist file, but otherwise kept as-is.. In other words, I don't try to merge possible upstream changes, I just keep the *dist files around as reference

Since the overall idea is that the adequate (or really dpkg) error message is a bug: How should I resolve this bug?

Any clue out there? Shortcut to the packaging at [1]

--alec

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/git/ci/debian/tree/debian/