Re: reason not to upload new versions as fast as possible to unstable? (expect attempt to migrate to testing )

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 01:21:06PM +0100, toogley wrote:
> > the wicd package currently has version 1.7.3 in unstable and testing, but
> > 1.7.4 is already imported. Generally speaking it seems to me very reasonable
> > to try to upload versions as fast as possible into unstable and testing, so
> > I'm just asking for clarification:
> >
> > Apart from wanting to migrate a version from unstable to testing, is there
> > any reason not to upload new upstream versions as fast as possible?
>
> Possible reasons to tone down uploads:
> * truly excessive frequency (like, dailies for more than a few days in a
>   row)
> * interfering with a transition
> * during freeze
> * libreofficeish build times
> * huge tarballs

Let's not forget "Insufficient testing".   If the maintainer did not have
enough time to test the package properly, it is probably a good idea to
delay the upload.

One is not supposed to upload untested crap to unstable ;-)  untested
goodness will be fine, but only because nobody will know it wasn't properly
tested in the first place.

> Doing two uploads in a row is perfectly fine.

Yeah, but it is a lot less fun when the second upload is of the "brown
paperbag" kind.  Been there, done that... Not fun!

  Henrique Holschuh