Re: RFS: snetmanmon, a simple network manager and monitor

Am 10.02.2016 um 12:52 schrieb Gianfranco Costamagna:

the configuration file is useful for *everybody* who want to build the package, right?
even if they build from source without dh or whatever, and even if they build in a non-deb
build system.

In that case, you have to install it from cmake, and make users happy with the build and their make install.

snetmanmon works perfectly without any configuration file in /etc. As long as you don't want that snetmanmon executes something with special privileges, there is no need to use (or install) a system-wide configuration file. Of course, many stuff in the example configuration files needs root privileges to configure network related things, but e.g. the monitoring use-case doesn't need any special privileges.

So in fact there is no need to install anything. And at the time I've written snetmanmon, most distributions (including Debian) just started to change their init-system. And I didn't want to spend the time to fiddle with all the changes various Linux systems have made, therefor I haven't had spend much time to write init-scripts. I haven't even thought much about using snetmanmon on Debian when I've written it.

And if you install snetmanmon.cfg in /etc by cmake, it should (imho) install an init-script too. Otherwise installing the cfg in /etc doesn't make much sense.

Anyway, thanks for line which install snetmanmon.cfg in /etc.

That just leaves the problem to handle the copyright file, changelog and whatever else the Debian packaging stuff expects, which is why all the non-sense talk started because you wanted to exchange the cp (for the copyright file) with install.

Anyway, thanks again,

Alexander Holler