Re: Help getting a bug report in order

On Monday, September 21 2015, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 8:20 PM, Sergio Durigan Junior
> <sergiodj@sergiodj.net> wrote:
>> On Monday, September 21 2015, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to Wookey, Paul, Rebecca, Jakub, I was able to send the control
>>> email for report.
>>>
>>> The control messaged resulted in a few issues:
>>>
>>>   Processing control commands:
>>>
>>>     > user debian-x32@lists.debian.org
>>>     Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
>>>
>>>     > usertags -1 + port-x32
>>>     Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
>>
>> You have to send both commands to control@bugs.debian.org, because
>> nnn@bugs.debian.org does not accept them (see
>> <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=798122>, as has been
>> mentioned elsewhere in this thread).
>
> OK, so I seem to be suffering a disconnect. So I'm clear: the same
> information must be sent multiple times and in different formats. Is
> that correct?

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  What I meant is that, since both commands
above were not processed by nnn@bugs (because of the bug mentioned), you
will have to send them to control@bugs.debian.org (if you still want
them to be processed).

What you could have done was sending all three commands to
control@bugs.debian.org, which is the "official" way of manipulating a
bug's properties.  What you *did* was to use what is called a
"pseudo-header" (i.e., the "Control:" text on the beginning of each line
of command).  This pseudo-header is useful because it makes
nnn@bugs.debian.org to recognize the control commands as well (however,
in your specific case, it was not possible to recognize all the commands
you issued because of #798122).

I recommend you to read <https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting> and
<https://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-request>; they are very informative
about these aspects.

> Related, this is confusing to me as a new user. I suspect other users
> suffer the same. Is there a web interface that allows me to perform
> the task once from a central location? (I've visited the bug report,
> but I don't see how to edit it using web based tool; but it could be
> my ignorance again).

The web interface is read-only, so you will not be able to edit a bug
using it.  Everything is done via e-mail, using commands similar to what
you used.  I find it amazingly useful, but I relate to what you're
feeling: I know many people prefer doing things on the web.  I know this
was/is in the "Debian wishlist" for a while, but I don't know much more.

A useful tool that might help you is the 'reportbug' program; another
one is the 'bts' program (which can be found in the devscripts package).

Cheers,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36