Add debug files to existing packages or add -dbg packages?

ROXTerm is going to need a new release soon and I'd like to include
debugging symbols. It currently has binary packages roxterm-common (data
files), roxterm-gtk3 (executables linked with GTK3 etc) and roxterm-gtk2
(linked with GTK2 etc). Should debugging symbols always be put in
separate -dbg packages or can they be added to existing packages? If
there is a choice I'm leaning towards the latter.