Re: DFSG package to remove images/documentation

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 05:27:45PM +0100, Pau Koning wrote:
> I have here a tarball which includes a prebuild version of the manual and all
> images are png files. But it also includes the source for the documentation
> (the python files) and the source for the images (dia and svg files).

Sweet!

> Is my understanding correct that the autogenerated documentation and images
> should be generated from the source files?

That's right!

> The problem is now that the images would have to be overwritten when they are
> converted from the source files to the input files for the manual generation.
> Is this a reason to make a DFSG tarball or do i interpret the Debian policy
> wrong? Maybe it is important to know here that I was not able to generate a
> pixel perfect equal version of the included images (which doesn't harm the
> quality of the image content at all).

The source seems like it'd be intact; you can just rm and rebuild at
build-time or something - might make the `clean' step a little harder
since you'll end up with changed binary files, but this isn't an
uncommon problem.

Of course, if you want to repack the binaries away, it'd save us all
lots of archive space, but I can see that being overkill for a few
files.

Anyway; I'd personally do a non-dfsg repack myself, but either way
works.

Cheers,
  Paul

[without any hats on other than his DD one]

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87