Re: Requirement for compat level 9

T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> writes:

> I know I can force compat level to 9 just like that. But what I want to
> know is how to make sure my building environment is up to that level.
> E.g., in a very old Debian system, e.g., potato, you can "set" debian/
> compat to 9, but I don't think it will work. The requirement, that's
> what I'd like to know.

The supported compat level is (roughly) the major version number of
debhelper.  (Usually the previous major version supports an experimental
version of that compat level, but it hasn't been finalized.)

Therefore, for compat level 9, you need debhelper 9 or later, which means
stable or squeeze-backports (but not squeeze itself).