Re: Upgrading the Debian Policy

T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> writes:

> The package that I want to pick up has a status:

> "The package should be updated to follow the last version of Debian
> Policy (Standards-Version 3.9.4 instead of 3.8.3)".

> I never knew the details of Debian Policy before, but did try to read
> the policy from 3.8.4 to 3.9.4, and find it a rather long list with no
> further details. At first, I was trying to find a wiki/blog dedicated to
> upgrading the Debian Policy, failing to find that, now I'm thinking,

To expand on what Niels said, the intended workflow is to look at the
upgrading checklist, either on the web at:

    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist

or just install the debian-policy package and look at:

    /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.gz

Find the current standards version, and then look at the summary of
changes since then.  If you see any change that might affect your package,
there's always an associated section number; find that section in Policy
and read through the details if need be to see if that's something that
affects you.

Most of the time, 90% of the entries are obviously unrelated to your
package and don't require any further investigation.