Re: Upgrading the Debian Policy

Le 24/09/2013 15:58, Paul Wise a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Dominik George wrote:
>
>> Sorry to disapoint you, but you should read *all of* DPM before passing
>> a package for upload to a sponsor or to mentors.
>
> I don't think we have never expected that new maintainers read policy
> before creating a package.

Hi,

I disagree with that: I expect prospective package maintainers to read
and follow the "Debian New Maintainers' Guide", which states:

 "The following is the very important documentation which you should
read along with this document:
    - debian-policy [...]
    - developers-reference - [...]"

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/start.en.html#needdocs

I would say that this is what Debian as a whole requires.

I mean that I expect the package maintainer to have read enough of the
policy to know which parts apply to his packages, and to have read these
parts in full.

Regards, Thibaut.