Re: Upgrading the Debian Policy

Hi,

> "The package should be updated to follow the last version of Debian
> Policy (Standards-Version 3.9.4 instead of 3.8.3)".

This is at first nothing more than the Standards-Version field in
debian/control.

> I never knew the details of Debian Policy before […]

Sorry to disapoint you, but you should read *all of* DPM before passing
a apckage for upload to a sponsor or to mentors.

> but did try to read the policy from 3.8.4 to 3.9.4, and find it a
> rather long list with no further details. At first, I was trying to
> find a wiki/blog dedicated to upgrading the Debian Policy, failing to
> find that, now I'm thinking,

Just update the Standards-Version field, try to build the package, and
(as you propose below) give it to lintian for lunch. Yet again, read the
Policy, by any means! It will save both you and your mentor/sponsor a
hell of a lot of time later.

> If I can fix all lintian reported issues, it'll be safe to say that I've
> bring the package to the last version of Debian Policy, right?

No. It is safe to say that if, and only if, you bump the
Standards-Version field to 3.9.4 and *then* have lintian be silent.

> PS. the lintian proposed to me before is:
>
>  lintian --color=always -I -E -i --pedantic

lintian -vIiE --pedantic --color=auto

-nik

--
<burny> Ein Jabber-Account, sie alle zu finden; ins Dunkel zu treiben
        und ewig zu binden; im NaturalNet, wo die Schatten droh'n ;)!

PGP-Fingerprint: 3C9D 54A4 7575 C026 FB17  FD26 B79A 3C16 A0C4 F296