Re: Packaging virtual machine images .ova?

Debian doesn't yet have the ability to create non-hacky pre-installed
images. All our pre-installed images (currently only live images) are
produced by configuring as per normal and then removing host-specific
files (like OpenSSH keys), which is a bit hacky. Ideally
dpkg/apt/packages would have a "generically configured" state and
debootstrap/d-i would have an "OEM mode" and systems installed in this
state would do needed host-specific configuration on initial boot.

Once we have the ability to create generic images, the right place to
build/distribute them will be on the cdimage.d.o infrastructure,
rather than from the package archive.

There are some unofficial qemu images available but they aren't well
integrated with our official image production infrastructure.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise