Re: dpkg-source aborting due to unexpected upstream changes when run inside pbuilder

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 06:21:39PM -0400, Alex Korobkin wrote:
> 1. Download the source of my package: apt-get source liblcms2-2
Note that we don't have Ubuntu precies as our default repo so the command
doesn't do the same as for you. You mean dget
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/lcms2/lcms2_2.2+git20110628-2ubuntu3.dsc
This is important because the sid version doesn't have this problem.

> And then it all ends with a message claiming that dpkg-source detected
> changes to upstream due to the patches it applied itself earlier.
Wrong.
The changes are caused by the clean target and I get the same message just
by running dpkg-buildpackage in the unpacked source (even *before*
building).

>  dpkg-source -b lcms2-2.2+git20110628
> dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
> dpkg-source: warning: Version number suggests Ubuntu changes, but
> Maintainer: does not have Ubuntu address
> dpkg-source: warning: Version number suggests Ubuntu changes, but
> there is no XSBC-Original-Maintainer field
> dpkg-source: info: building lcms2 using existing
> ./lcms2_2.2+git20110628.orig.tar.gz
> dpkg-source: warning: newly created empty file 'config.status' will
> not be represented in diff
> dpkg-source: info: local changes detected, the modified files are:
>  lcms2-2.2+git20110628/Makefile
> <patched files skipped>
> dpkg-source: info: you can integrate the local changes with dpkg-source --commit
> dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes, see
> /tmp/lcms2_2.2+git20110628-2ubuntu3.diff.nAswlJ
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b lcms2-2.2+git20110628 gave
> error exit status 2
> E: Failed autobuilding of package
>

> Why dpkg-source thinks the patches are a problem and shouldn't be applied?
It never said the patches are problem.
The problem is Makefile files that are regenerated by configure called in
the clean target.
That these files are patched by debian/patches/debian-changes-* is another
problem, caused by this one.

This problem was reported in September as #643177 and fixed in the Debian
package version 2.2+git20110628-2.1 in March.

--
WBR, wRAR