Re: proposed new pseudo-package 'debian-mentors' for handling sponsoring requests

Michael van der Kolff <mvanderkolff@gmail.com> writes:

> But in setting it up in the US, don't you only have to care about US
> law?

I think that because Debian itself has a legal presence (in the sense of
having a bank account and therefore assets that can be confiscated in
judgement) in Europe as well as the US (and in other countries as well),
things that are officially blessed by the project have to care about
multiple jurisdictions.  In general, you can be sued in either the
location where you're doing whatever it is that you're doing or in your
home location.

If debian-mentors is run as a private service by a few Debian project
members but not as an official part of the project, then I think only the
nationality of the server and of those project members would matter.

But this is all based on my very vague understanding of the complexities
of international civil law, which is of course a whole field of expertise
in and of itself.