Re: RFS: OpenCPN navigation (ITP #538067)

George Danchev wrote:
> * long package descriptions should be impoved,
> and in my opinoin to the point where a person
> with a driver license could be comfortable to
> read and understand it :) For instance: the
> bullet list of bullet of features, should
> have more explanations; you cold add a sentence
> or two about the "Route handling facility".

fair enough, as long as searchable keywords such
as "S-57" remain so apt-cache search can find it.

if it helps I put together an extended overview
page for it which could be reused:
  http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/opencpn_overview.html

(bits of that scraped from the opencpn.org website
were with explicit written permission)

> * get-orig-source, or have a look at DevRef -
> 6.7.8.2. - Repackaged upstream source - to at
> least ease the fetching of your dfsg tarball
> from alioth.

passing my first try at that off to Anton as I'm
heading off to sea in a few minutes..

Hamish wrote:
>> aside: Anyone know the redistribution terms for
>> vcredist_x86.exe ?
>> MS's download site does not make it obvious and
>> I guess you have to actually install it to get
>> the EULA.
>>
>> -> Can a GPL'd Windows program validly ship it
>> as part of the install, or must it be left as a
>> "why does it fail with Error 14001?" FAQ on the
>> project's homepage?
>
> Whatever, we don't need vc_redist.exe in Debian
> archive -- at least 300 mirrors will have some
> disk space trashed for no good reasons.

I don't ask that wrt Debian, just in case someone
is reading who has also packaged a GPL port of their
code for MS Windows is reading.

thanks,
Hamish