Re: RFS: mosh

Hi,

I'm sorry, I haven't yet reviewed your package, I'm only commenting on the
issues you raised.

[...]
> It builds these binary packages:
> mosh       - fast R6RS Scheme interpreter
> mosh-doc   - reference documentation for Mosh

[...]
> #1.  It requires an embedded copy of the Boehm GC.  dmoerner previously
> attempted to unbundle this and it did work, however a recent change in
> Mosh relies on a non-default compile time configuration of the GC, and
> also bugfixes which are only present in the CVS version.  As such it's
> quite impractical to unbundle the GC library at the moment, and the
> upstream bug is marked WONTFIX.  See:
> http://code.google.com/p/mosh-scheme/issues/detail?id=156
>
> For reference, I have attempted to build against a libgc using a default
> configuration and it breaks badly at runtime.

Given that, according to the discussion in #156, some earlier version had
apparently worked fine: couldn't the Debian package simply revert that
"optimization" that requires GC_DONT_ADD_BYTE_AT_END?

I must state that a package that only works under very specific compile-time
settings of an external library makes me shiver. It seems that mosh has no
safety checks and the necessity to rely on such low-level optimizations raises
questions about the design of this software...

> #2.  psyntax-mosh requires several Scheme sources to be compiled into a
> single 'binary' (which is actually text, but not human-editable).
> However, the build script requires a previous version of Mosh.  Releases
> are distributed with a precompiled version so the users doesn't need an
> older version.  I asked about this on IRC, and it seems it's
> unacceptable to use the precompiled file in the final build, so two
> solutions were suggested.  One is to initially build using the
> precompiled file and then rebuild over the top using the
> now-bootstrapped version (The version doesn't necessarily need to be
> older.)  The other method is to split the source package into two
> packages, mosh-bootstrap and mosh, where mosh-bootstrap is
> arch-independent and mosh arch-dependent.  Neither of these are clean
> but that is probably unavoidable.

Well, then, which route did you follow? I don't really see a problem with the
rebuild-over-the-top variant, although of course this introduces some
complexity.

Best regards,
Michael