Re: What to do about the situation with id3v2

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 09:08:42AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> I also that there are quite a few id3 related command-line tools and
> libraries in Debian, it would be nice to unify all of those into one
> library

This makes the command line tool redundant, which is an argument for
removal.  Not a strong one, though -- to migrate to the competition, I'd
have to change several lines in one of my private mp3 management scripts
which is unnecessary work for me :p

> In case you are thinking of dropping libid3, the following are the
> reverse deps and reverse build-deps that would need to be ported or
> dropped. You might want to talk to their maintainers and upstreams:

[15 packages]
But this is an argument to keep it.  Porting 15 packages to something else
would be quite a bit of work.

However, what if you made not the command line tool but the library a thin
wrapper over a competing one?  That would require porting just once.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be