Re: help creating a package (splitting a package and publishing it)

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Reece Dunn <msclrhd@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The project builds a shared library, two executables and provides
> development API headers. At the moment, the output is all built into
> one deb file. I want to break this up so that it complies with debian
> packaging rules but I am not sure how.

Please see:

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

> Do I need to add custom installation commands to the debian/rules file
> (in addition to what is provided by autotools)? If not, how do I get
> the shared library into the correct package?

The document mentioned above explains it in detail, but most likely
no, you don't need that.

> Do I need to become a Debian maintainer and upload the package to
> mentors.debian.net?

The document mentioned above explains that too. You probably want to
get it uploaded to mentors.debian.net so that it's easy for someone to
review and upload your package for you. You can become the maintainer
of a bunch of packages and not be a Debian maintainer. Or you may want
to apply for the Debian maintainer role in the future when you're more
used to the system and want to help out.

Regards,