Re: creating new package without archive file (e.g. tar.gz)

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 01:14:23AM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@ubuntu.com>, 2011-04-11, 18:52:
> >If there is really no release (and never going to be),
>
> (You can never know that...)
>
> >just pick a nice round number (such as 1.0), and keep git off that.
> >
> >Your version ID would look something like:
> >
> >1.0[~|+]gitYYYYMMDD.HASHHASHHASH-1
>
> Version numbers don't need to be "nice" or "round"; they should make
> sense, however. 1.0+something for a piece of software that is not
> planned to be released certainly doesn't.

Agreed.  In my packaging, I've been using 0.0.YYYYMMDD for that purpose -
assuming that when/if the upstream developers decide to actually roll out
a release, they'll use something larger than 0.0.1 for a version number :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net roam@FreeBSD.org peter@packetscale.com
If the meanings of 'true' and 'false' were switched, then this sentence wouldn't be false.