Re: RFS: jansson - C library for encoding, decoding and manipulating JSON data

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 23:28:58 +0200, Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com> wrote:

> It builds these binary packages:
> libjansson4 - C library for encoding, decoding and manipulating JSON data
> libjansson4-dev - C library for encoding, decoding and manipulating JSON data (dev)
> libjansson4-doc - C library for encoding, decoding and manipulating JSON data (doc)

Some comments:

1) Don't put the soname in the name of the -dev package, unless you are
   really sure it is needed. It complicates SONAME transitions.

   Unfortunately library packaging docs are in flux right now, but see
   for example the message

        http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/03/msg00357.html

2) Same for the doc file; I see less downsides here to the versioning, but
   convention is to to have unversioned doc files.

3) I see you install docs into /usr/share/doc/jansson instead of
   /usr/share/libjansson4-doc. I'm not sure that this is a bug, but it
   is bit unusual. Can you explain/justify this?

4) It could be nice to install

   test/bin/json_process.c

   as an example (see e.g. man dh_installexamples); no makefile or anything
   is needed.

5) licenscheck --copyright src   suggests one more copyright holder that
   could be added to debian/copyright.

6) I'm not sure about saying C library rather than just "library" in the
   short description. Perhaps it betrays my age, but for me that is the
   default. But I'm willing to convinced if there is some advantage to
   the user.

That is all I see now.  Feel free to just push changes to git.debian.org;
I prefer to work from the git repo in any case.

David