Re: RFS: morse (New upstream release)

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Nanakos Chrysostomos
<debian_mpg@wired-net.gr> wrote:

> The dropped patches ARE ALREADY INCLUDED IN THE NEW UPSTREAM RELEASE. Should they
> recorded to the changelog file? What if I had 10000 patches applied to a new upstream
> release along with new package features? Should I log all the 10000 patches that are dropped
> to the changelog file?
> That not makes sense. I removed this changelog entry concerning the previous patches as you
> suggested and reuploaded the package. Please consider that tha "dropped" as you say patches
> are already included in the new upstream source files for ESR.

I know they are included upstream. But dropping *debian* patches
are changes in debian packaging. It's about the files that get
removed from debian/ dir. And debian/changelog is for keeping
history of such changes.

To aid keeping track of problems in the future, the changelog
should be specific which patches were dropped, or one would
end up having to diff the source to find out what were actually
changed.

Regarding your question about having 10000 patches, you know
that's exaggeration. Even big projects like gcc and openoffice.org
don't have that many *debian* patches. And you can study their
changelogs to see how detailed they are logging about patches.
On the other hand, for those big projects, saying "dropped 16 out
of 50 patches" without saying which would surely cause a real
headache when one tries to track a problem caused by some
upload in the past.

Note that in most cases, each patch that gets merged upstream
often means a communication work with upstream author, or
they were cherry-picked from upstream VCS before release, or
upstream author had done the same change by coincidence.
But in any case, it means your work on new upstream releases
to check whether the patches are still applicable. And you can log it
one by one as you found it needs change.

I'd suggest changelog entries like this:

  * debian/patches/00makefile: Updated to cover pulseaudio device.
  * debian/patches/02morsemake: Dropped, ... (I don't know the
reason you dropped it. It's not included upstream yet. So, please
fill your reason here.)
  * debian/patches/03morse, debian/patches/04qso,
    debian/patches/05grammar: Dropped, merged upstream.
  * debian/patches/02morseLinux: Added to add new alias manpage.

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/