Re: RFS: opencbm (2nd attempt)

Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> Frédéric, why are these not upstream on the kernel, and if they are
> sucky drivers, why not upstream on staging?

My main concern is that because of the strict timing requirements of the
IEC bus, the module may busy-wait for up to several ms at a time.  I
wonder if that would be deemed as acceptable behavior by the kernel
maintainers.  (Although, grepping through the source, I see there are
already worse offenders in there.)

I agree it would be nice to have this included in the kernel tree, but
I'd have to ask upstream how they feel about this, as this would require
freezing the API.  Also, the project provides both a Linux and Windows
driver, so there may be advantages in keeping them in the same place.
(I also doubt they would have much time to spare on this, but I'd be
glad to lend a hand.)

In any case, would this preclude packaging the module separately up
until its (possible) inclusion in linux-staging?

--
< DanielS> still, throne of blood sounds like a movie about overfiend
           and virgins or some crap