Re: Indicating the resolution of a closed bug report

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > The usual case would be “fixed”, so that can be assumed in the
> > absence of such information. But for reports closed *without* a
> > “fix”, it would be good to indicate that, probably with standard
> > tags. Do they exist?
[…]

> The Debian BTS already distinguishes effectively (IMO) between bug
> reports that were closed because they were fixed and bug reports that
> were closed for other reasons, usually because they were invalid. Bug
> reports that are closed because they were fixed are closed indicating
> a version of the package in which they were fixed, and the BTS knows
> that the bug is still present in older versions.
[…]

That's a good point. Okay, so the “usual case” discussed above is where
the bug report has one or more fixed versions indicated.

If the bug report is closed, but no fixed versions are indicated, the
implication is the bug isn't fixed but doesn't need further work
(conflating “works for me”, “not a bug”, and so on). That meets my
needs, at least.

Thanks for the clarification.

--
 \       “To have the choice between proprietary software packages, is |
  `\      being able to choose your master. Freedom means not having a |