Re: Use, "Depends: locales-all|locales" or not

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 11:48:18AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:
> > On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:50:23AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> Absent that, we're considering adding some sort of ugly hack to Lintian
> >> to force the locales package to generate a UTF-8 locale if one isn't
> >> already available.  Unfortunately, there's no straightforward way to do
> >> that in Debian without doing things that are kind of questionable.
>
> > You are free to call localedef and place the generated locale in a
> > temporary directory, then use that.  Is that too ugly?
>
> No, that's cleaner than I thought it would be.  How does Lintian then use
> that locale (or, to be more precise, how does Lintian get man and the
> programs man calls to use that locale), when it's not in the standard
> system locale directory?

AFAICT just set the LOCPATH environment variable and all programs will
pick it up (in addition to LC_xxx to make your locale get used).  You
might not even need to restart lintian, since you can do the generation,
set the environment and then just call setlocale() to start using it.

It's mentioned in locale(5) and environ(7).

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh