newbie: creating a package for web application

Hello,

I am just getting started with creating debian packages, and the first package I am working on is a web-based application.

I have the tarball, and have extracted it into a directory on my lenny system.
I ran dh_make and have a generic debian directory.

My problem comes in, that this package does not have a configure or make process, you are supposed to be able to just uncompress it into the webserver's webroot folder (/var/www for example).

What do i do with the rules file for such a situation?
Is there an example of a package that doesn't require the "compilation" of source to generate  but just copies files to the target location?