Re: best practice for updating inetd.conf with a user-chosen port?

Eric Cooper <ecc@cmu.edu> writes:

> What is the best way to register a daemon under inetd with a
> user-chosen port?  (I am packaging a daemon that is run by inetd, but
> does not have a standard port number.)
>
> Currently I am prompting the user for the port via debconf, grepping
> /etc/inetd.conf to make sure it's not already there, and then calling
> update-inetd.  Is there a better way, or an existing package that
> does something similar?
>
> --
> Eric Cooper             e c c @ c m u . e d u

This has bugged me too. Is anything speaking against changing inetd to
accept an /etc/inetd.conf.d/ directory where packages can just dump a
file containing their own entries? That way one (as admin) could also
easily customise the line and wouldn't get complains from update-inetd
on every package upgrade.

MfG
        Goswin