Re: Directories left on upgrade, files not removed on upgrade?

Am Sonntag, den 01.03.2009, 16:05 +0100 schrieb Goswin von Brederlow:
> Paul Gevers <paul@climbing.nl> writes:
>
> >> Preparing to replace docbook-xsl-doc-html 1.73.2.dfsg.1-5 (using docbook-xsl-doc-html_1.74.2-1_all.deb) ...
> >> Unpacking replacement docbook-xsl-doc-html ...
> >> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old directory `/usr/share/doc/docbook-xsl/doc/slides': Directory not empty
> >> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old directory `/usr/share/doc/docbook-xsl/doc/lib': Directory not empty
> >> dpkg: warning - unable to delete old directory `/usr/share/doc/docbook-xsl/doc/utility': Directory not empty
> >> [..]
[..]
> > IIRC this usually means that the directories contain files which are not
> > installed/controlled by dpkg. So, did you change files manually in those
> > directories?

No changes and there are only files belonging to docbook-xsl-doc-html.

> Alternatively you had an old system (sarge or older) and updated it a
> few times. The old dpkg had a bug where it would drop directories from
> packages file list and then erroneously think nobody owns the
> directory and try to delete it.

Unfortunately I can reproduce the problem in a clean CHROOT. The files
in /usr/share/doc/docbook-xsl/doc/ all belong to docbook-xsl-doc-html.

Upgrading the package leaves all the files. But if I then purge the
package, the files from the old package are also removed except the
empty /usr/share/doc/docbook-xsl/doc/ directory.

I can of course provide the updated docbook-xsl-doc-html package:
http://debian.wgdd.de/temp/docbook-xsl/. Use a pbuilder CHROOT or any
other clean CHROOT. Then install there the current docbook-xsl-doc-html
package and then try to install the updated one.

Regards, Daniel