Re: RFS: vidalia

On Sun, 25 May 2008 17:17:04 +0300, George Danchev wrote:

> I consider such requirement quite suboptimal. [..] 2) even
> not being officially published, this source package is in the wild and it is
> a bad idea to just reset its versioning (well unless using epoch which would
> be compeltely unneeded) since these users who built & installed first version
> of -1 from mentors won't get the updated one from official mirrors.

Not true:

$ apt-cache policy
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 http://ftp.it.debian.org unstable/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.it.debian.org
 [..]
$

Usually locally installed packages have lower priority than those available at
repositories.
When I propose one of my packages to a sponsor, I usually have it installed
(dpkg -i), and when it gets uploaded, an "apt-get upgrade" replaces it with the
officially available one.
This, of course, if version numbers match. If you locally have -2, and the
repos have -1, it won't be overwritten.

Try.

David

--