Re: How do I deal with common files between two packages?

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 11:44 -0700, Andrew McClain wrote:
> I'm building a package (mogile-server) that is split up into two
> related sub-packages (mogilefsd and mogstored). How do I deal with the
> two helper-scripts that are common between both sub-packages?

Either:
package A must depend on package B which contains the scripts or
packages A and B must depend on package C which contains the scripts.

You cannot ship two copies of the same script in two packages without
setting the packages to conflict (or replace).

dpkg-divert is for when two packages provide two different scripts with
the same name, typically where one extends the other as with binutils
and binutils-multiarch. Alternatives doesn't fit either because those
are for different scripts with different names but common functionality.

>  Can I mark them as "common", or do I need to split them into a
> "mogile-server-common" package?

C == foo-common in such a case.

--

Neil Williams