Re: RFS: yougrabber

chaica@ohmytux.com wrote:

>> People could think that this will be some kind of
>> gtk/qt/whatever, but the screenshot shows an ncurses
>> application.
>>

> In my point of view, ncurse applications are graphic applications, moreover
> the "technically speaking" paragraph gives clear detail ("ncurses-based")
> about that.

I don't mean to nitpick, but I don't think this is a point of view
issue. The term "graphic interface" in computer related subjects is
relatively well defined as being related to icons and widgets. A console
based interface such as ncurses - complex as it may be - is still based
on just characters.

Regardless of the semantical uncertainties, "graphic interface" should
not be used to describe this program specifically because it muddles the
relatively clear distinction between what is classically (in the linux
world) called a "graphical interface" and what's not. Your point of view
is not as important as the common denominator's point of view (no
offense), in our case: the end users.
My suggestion - if you feel so strongly about using the term - would be
something like "console-based graphical interface", alluding to ncurses
intention of being the closest you can get to "graphical", without
leaving the console. But IMHO you'd still be better off leaving the gray
area and making it clear that it's a console application, without having
to read the technical fine print to figure it out (it sounds like cheap
advertising: "it's graphical! ... but technically, it's not" ;-) ).

Cheers

--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]