Re: mentors.debian.net rejects orig.tar."bz2"

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The dpkg changelog says (2005-06-11):
>>
>>         * debian/control ([dpkg-dev]Recommends): Recommend bzip2, it's
>>         not an absolute dependency until bz2 packages are supported by
>>         katie and policy.
>>
>> And indeed policy does not mention bz2, and speaks of orig.tar.gz all
>> over the place. I guess this means bz2 is not supported yet, even though
>> dpkg handles it.
>
> This may just be Policy lagging behind dpkg.  If someone wants to
> investigate this, please start by checking with ftp-master and asking if
> dak supports .bz2 and if they're willing to accept such packages in the
> archive.  If so, we should change Policy.

According to [1], bz2 is not usable, the regex used to validate files is
"(.+)_(.+?)\.(orig\.tar\.gz|diff\.gz|tar\.gz|dsc)$". However I don't know if
that is what is indeed running on ftp-master (although the log includes
pretty recent changes, such as the DM uploads).
I think I'll file a wishlist... should it be against ftp.debian.org? There
doesn't seem to be one filed already.

[1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/bzr/ftpmaster-dak/

--

  Felipe Sateler