Re: rpath issue on 64 bit architectures

Francesco Namuri wrote:
> I would like to know, what in your opinion is the best solution.
> And then, I am mistaken thinking that the problem is related to the fact
> that lib64/ is a symlink to lib/ ?

I'm I don't think this is exactly the problem.
RPATH is meant to help/supplant the linker on runtime, to make sure it
finds the correct library which carries the symbols needed by the
executable. There should be no need for it in a system where the linker
is correctly configured and all installed libraries are in predictable
places, such as Debian, but in a system where libraries could possibly
be installed in different places, this becomes useful.

With that in mind, what I interpret from the given reason is that
libtool could be trying to deal with a possibly mixed 32/64
installation, where it wouldn't trust the linker to find the correct
library. This isn't needed for Debian.

At any rate, this is just speculation.
What you could suggest upstream is that - if he really believes rpath to
still be useful and doesn't want to completely abandon it as other gnome
projects have done - he could implement something like the widely used
AC_RELOCATABLE macro to his scripts, to make a '--disable-rpath' option
available at configure time. This in turn could be added to debian/rules
and the chrpath hack could be removed.

Hope it helps.

Also, something I hadn't seen while sponsoring the package: it seems
that you accidentally copied the rules file to a file named '\' on the
base source code dir.

Cheers

--
Leo "costela" Antunes